Friday 4 February 2011

Entering a new chapter

This is a week late somewhat and what's more, this kind of post is usually reserved for my other journal where I gush about 'feelings' and 'life's journey' etc etc.

Yet, allow me some space to do this here. I entered a new 'phase' of life, now that I have been a quarter century on this earth. This year is going to be full of intention and then those intentions actually coming into being - or whatever. 

Last week we celebrated this occasion by going to see the Cirque du Soleil (Totem) at The Royal Albert Hall. It was splendid and wonderful, I loved every minute of it. And that was the first time I had been to the Royal Albert Hall. Stunning really. I was determined to dress up and forgo practical attire which meant my feet froze as we walked from the car park to the venue. Then we finished the evening off at a lovely restaurant in Knightsbridge and the manager heard it was our birthday, so brought out a plate of yummy chocolate desserts, all wheat free. I told him I loved him for that :) Then back home to cut the cake at some insane hour but it had to be done. 


This post does actually have something of interest to read about, namely this article I read on Kazuo Ishiguro which was enlightening, even though I haven't read his work really. I tried to get through 'Remains of the Day' when I was preparing for my interview at Oxford but I couldn't get into it. Needless to say (for I hear you asking, where is the relevance here?), he's being interviewed to talk about 'Never Let Me Go' being made into a film yada yada. 


"When I see films made from books, I make a huge effort not to remember the book," he says. "It's important to see the film as a film. Of course, it's easier with an old book. If it's Wuthering Heights or something, it's like going to the theatre and seeing another version; it might as well be Chekhov. This book came out in 2006, so it's harder to do that. But it's a movie. Every discussion shouldn't be dominated by a comparison with the novel."


Cool, what do you think - do you agree? It's a fair point and in all honesty, quite right, though I couldn't wholeheartedly agree, for that would render this blog's primary aim rather useless. I haven't read the book or seen the film, so cannot make a comparison either way. 

Yet there is something to be said about the film adaptation standing on its own two feet. Do you agree? I'm still thinking that there is a ineffable thread, as it were, that will always bind the film to it's original adaptation - can you ever really separate the two?

Furthermore, what's your favourite book to film adaptation and why did it work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment