Monday 30 July 2012

The Dark Knights Rises to an impressive conclusion

Chris Nolan delivers a near triumphant conclusion to one of the most successful superhero franchise.

This highly anticipated film is not without its flaws- the voice of Bane, various plot mishaps, motivations of villains with silly back stories - for most superhero films have a certain quota of ridiculousness but nonetheless, it stayed away from farcical and conveyed some respect for character storytelling, in direct contrast to the apathetically vomited 'story' that was Avengers Assemble.
Moreover, I'm not a huge fan of this caped crusader, so I had less preconceived boxes that needed ticking, so it didn't fail me on too many accounts. This doubtless, plays a large part in my perception of the film because, as with previous posts, one can tell that once I'm acquainted source mythology etc, then I'm really particular about how they adapt it.

I did fear that the plot would be complex or a little confusing like Dark Knight, yet this film's plot considerably more straightforward and digestible for the average viewer - it's essentially about how the hero struggles with wanting to returning to the fray and being somewhat 'behind' in terms of real skill needed to overcome the bigger and badder enemies. Nevertheless, there were a couple of twists I did not foresee, both of which are saved until the end, which then elevated the plot from being somewhat run-of-the-mill, though arguably it was predominantly predictable. It doesn't break any new ground in that respect but I don't think this conclusion needed it - it was just more dark, more intense etc.

Despite its length, I wasn't bored at all and for once, it paid off to go in with relatively low expectations-  I literally went to see Anne Hathaway as Cat woman, and she was amazingly brilliant, so I  genuinely came out surprised and pleased, finally caring about Bruce Wayne. As such, the last five minutes had me sitting up wondering and the way Nolan decided to finish it just meant I left with mad respect for him.

*SPOILERS ALERT*
Joseph Gordon Levitt was a good addition, though his character's claim about recognising that Wayne was Batman right away was dubious - something about hiding anger and masks which came off rather overcooked. Michael Caine is always a gem and he elevated the film in each of his scenes.

My main issue with the film was the character of Bane - it's always a bit rubbish when you realise the big baddy is working for someone else and only because, well what do you know?,  he has a heart after all, as he's doing it for the one he loves. And while there were quite a few 'suspend your disbelief' moments, (the Ras Al Ghul/prison malarkey), it was pretty ridiculous how the thousands of cops who get trapped underground for 3 months emerge, fit and ready to fight - even the diabetic ones?

Additionally, I don't think the film should be a 12A - it's far too violent. I don't see how anyone under 12 coping with the 'back breaking' scene well. It was relentless and as such, the film should be a 12 - I think the British Board of Film Classification or whatever have forgotten that the rating of just '12' does exist.

VERDICT: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment